ConnectGen is seeking a Senior Manager, Transmission to join our dynamic and growing team. The Senior Manager, Transmission will be responsible for transmission analysis and strategy development for ConnectGen’s portfolio of wind, solar and energy storage projects.
The position will evaluate and advise the company on transmission and interconnection issues; develop transmission and interconnection strategies; drive market, congestion, curtailment and basis analyses to support current and future projects; and support PPA structuring, financing, and M&A due diligence. This role will report to the Director, Business Development & Transmission and is part of ConnectGen’s Transmission group.
- Provide expertise and analytical support on transmission and interconnection issues.
- Perform transmission analysis to forecast system conditions to assess grid related risks and provide analyses of congestion and basis risks for potential and existing projects with a long- term view of the market
- Develop strategies to select new project sites and evaluate opportunities with transmission-related work to ensure each project has sufficient transmission/interconnection availability for project competitiveness
- Lead the interconnection process for the company’s projects, from assessment of interconnection options, overseeing the preparation of interconnection applications (with support from the Interconnection Analyst), evaluation of utility technical studies, and negotiation of interconnection agreements
- Understand inverter-based generation behavior and impacts on the transmission systems and ensure compliance with technical interconnection requirements
- Provide assessments of transmission-related market dynamics, such as LMP pricing, nodal basis risks, congestion risks, etc. using available data or by performing security constrained economic analysis in the company’s commercially available software tool (UPLAN)
- Provide assessment of grid interconnection to support M&A activities, such as LMP, congestion risk, curtailment risks, basis risks, etc.
- Thoroughly and concisely document and explain interconnection status to internal project developers and third parties during project development and financing
- Represent the company’s interests in regional forums, ISOs, RTOs etc. as needed
- Manage outside consultants in performing power system and power market studies and effectively communicate the results to project development, origination, engineering, and finance groups
- Monitor and report on transmission related regulatory and trade group activities that may impact the company
- Provide transmission expertise to support project permitting efforts
- Other support as required
- Keen, demonstrated interest in renewable energy
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to distill and communicate complex technical issues to non-technical audiences and work collaboratively with project teams
- Strong technical, statistical and analytical skills
- Ability to work in a project-driven environment with occasional tight deadlines and concurrent deliverables
- Ability to obtain approval to access Critical Energy Infrastructure Information (CEII) [see https://www.ferc.gov/enforcement-legal/ceii]
- Ability to travel on occasion (~10% of time)
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field is required, with advanced degree preferred
- 3-5 years of experience in the electric power industry is required, with power flow modeling, transmission system planning, or SCED analysis experience strongly preferred
- Strong knowledge of power flow and UPLAN analysis tools is preferred
- Working knowledge of the structured markets in the Eastern Interconnect (PJM, NYISO, ISONE and MISO) is strongly preferred
- Working knowledge of CAISO and WECC is not required but a plus
- Working knowledge of documents relating to transmission and interconnection (e.g., study agreements, tariffs, interconnection agreements) is required
- Working knowledge of FERC and NERC is required
ConnectGen is an independent renewable energy company founded in 2018 focused on developing high quality wind, solar and energy storage projects across North America. Based in Houston, Texas, our experienced team has developed, built and operated thousands of megawatts across North America. ConnectGen is backed by Quantum Energy Partners, a leading provider of private equity capital to the global energy industry, having managed together with its affiliates more than $17 billion in equity commitments since inception.
ConnectGEN is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that values a diversity of backgrounds and life experiences in our workplace. We believe we make better business decisions, achieve superior results, and have more fun when we receive contributions from a variety of unique voices. We seek to hire top talent for every job – we are open to applicants of any race, sex, age, color, ethnicity, national origin, creed, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or veteran/reservist/national guard status – and have a strong commitment to professional development and growth at all levels.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume and any additional documents in one PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com