ConnectGen is seeking a Director, Development to lead the development of utility-scale renewable energy and energy storage projects in New York. ConnectGen currently has 1,000+ MW of projects under development in the region and is looking for an experienced developer to successfully lead project execution while also expanding the portfolio.
This role reports to the Vice President, Development, and is part of ConnectGen’s East Development team. This is a hybrid position, with Houston location encouraged but not required. Remote candidates should expect to travel to Houston on a regular basis to maintain connectivity to the broader team, in addition to project-related travel.
- Serve as regional lead of the existing development team, responsible for managing project developers, providing day-to-day guidance, prioritizing efforts, and setting and managing individual performance and personal development targets
- Facilitate execution of current portfolio by:
- Directly engaging in project development activities in support of project manager as required to achieve project goals (“player-coach”)
- Assisting the acquisition of land rights, permits and authorizations, and local agreements required to construct and operate projects
- Supporting engineering and design, commercial marketing, financial analysis, and project financing efforts for projects
- Ensuring the effective transition of projects from the development phase to the construction phase
- Lead New York portfolio growth by:
- Performing market and competition analysis to support regional strategy development
- Working cross-functionally with the Transmission and GIS teams to analyze the NYISO grid, identifying opportunities for new renewable energy and energy storage prospecting
- Highlighting potential project M&A opportunities and supporting due diligence and transaction process as needed
- Participating in regional industry advocacy organizations to advance project and market development
- Represent ConnectGen in the field with landowners and at community/stakeholder meetings as required
- Establish and maintain network of relationships with regional stakeholders, including but not limited to government officials, federal and state regulatory agencies, regional utilities, and NGOs
- Oversee and manage regional project development budgets and schedules
- Ensure Development Managers, Associates, and Analysts are organizing and maintaining all relevant project documentation to support financing
- Prepare regular reports on regional pipeline status, and lead periodic meetings on regional strategy
- Other duties as assigned
ConnectGen has a strong commitment to professional development and promoting from within. Candidates in this role can expect to be given opportunities to grow and advance their careers beyond their current role, for example by:
- Attending regional trade association meetings and conferences on behalf of ConnectGen, including the pursuit of relevant board positions or participation in strategic industry working groups
- Participating in company-wide strategic and business planning initiatives with the executive team, including crafting recommendations for the ConnectGen board
- Engaging internal commercial, finance, and legal functions to assess and pursue newly identified commercial opportunities; including recommending project pricing to executive team and CEO and supporting commercial and legal functions in offtake negotiations
- Assessing broader market developments and working with the team to make new market entry recommendations
- Working with the executive team on corporate level process improvement initiatives and the identification of corporate needs required to meet growth and strategic objectives
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a team of direct reports
- Demonstrated leadership and collaboration skills, including the ability to achieve results within cross-functional, multi-department project teams
- Ability to manage multiple projects effectively while maintaining a high level of attention to detail
- Ability to be self-motivated and work effectively with minimal supervision
- Strong written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills
- Ability to travel extensively by plane and by car and with short notice
- For remote candidates, ability to travel regularly to the corporate headquarters in Houston
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred
- Minimum of 7 years of utility-scale renewable energy project development experience, with experience in New York preferred
ConnectGen is an independent renewable energy company founded in 2018 focused on developing high quality wind, solar and energy storage projects across North America. Based in Houston, Texas, our experienced team has developed, built and operated thousands of megawatts across North America. ConnectGen is backed by Quantum Energy Partners, a leading provider of private equity capital to the global energy industry, having managed together with its affiliates more than $18 billion in equity commitments since inception.
ConnectGen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that values a diversity of backgrounds and life experiences in our workplace. We believe we make better business decisions, achieve superior results, and have more fun when we receive contributions from a variety of unique voices. We seek to hire top talent for every job – we are open to applicants of any race, sex, age, color, ethnicity, national origin, creed, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or veteran/reservist/national guard status – and have a strong commitment to professional development and growth at all levels.
ConnectGen offers an attractive total rewards package including competitive pay, annual bonus, long term incentives, health and welfare benefits, generous time off, paid holidays, flexible work and more! We have a strong commitment to fostering a culture of support, entrepreneurship, innovation, problem-solving, professional development and growth in a collaborative, team-oriented environment focused on projects that will impact the future of power generation infrastructure. Join us!
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume and any additional documents in one PDF file to email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org